Lamesa Landmarks
Don't forget to take a picture at these local treasures!

The Wall

One block west, in the 400 block of south 2nd street. It’s simply known as The Wall, and its history as a local landmark dates back to the late 1920’s or early 30’s. Originally there was a block long brick wall-part of competing lumber companies one each side of the street, giving the clock its all street nickname. Sometime in the late 1930’s, local youngsters started painting their names and other graffiti on the walls–perhaps without permission but also without punishment from the owners. Over the years, the routine painting of graffiti on the wall has largely given way to a tradition of the seniors at Lamesa high school painting the entire wall, with their names and other artwork, in one big event a couple of days before graduation.

The Big Lady

Some call her Bertha Bethel, but to most she is just known generally as the Big Lady or the tall woman in front of Reid Bethel Tire Co. at 310 S. Dallas Ave.

Built of fiberglass, the 16ft tall figure in high heels originally was used to promote Uniroyal tires when it came to Lamesa in the early 1960’s now owned by store manager Gary Culp, the figure was repainted several years ago to resemble Lamesa high school golden tornado cheerleader. Travelers along business route 87 through town regularly stop to take photos with the big lady.

Lamesa’s Big Lady is one of a handful of “Uniroyal Gals” in the country and is a rare, historical piece of marketing Americana. You can read about Uniroyal Gals here:

Quanah Parker Arrow

“Quanah Parker was the last Chief of the Commanches and never lost a battle to the white man. His tribe roamed over the area where Pampa stands. He was never captured by the Army, but decided to surrender and lead his tribe into the white man’s culture, only when he saw that there was no alternative. His was the last tribe in the Staked Plains to come into the reservation system.” (via Famous Texans website)

A giant arrow representative of the Comanche tribe has been erected at the north “Y” intersection, where Lynn and Dallas Avenues merge together, to commemorate the Comanche Indians domination of the Panhandle area.

Following is a 7 minute video about Quanah Parker narrated by his grandson.

Search for a business or services
Latest Daily Deals & News
Follow us on Facebook